Skip to main content

The Golden Age

I recently purchased boxes of 2013 and 2014 Panini Golden Age.

These sets were similar to Upper Deck Goodwin's Champions in that they featured retired players and historical figures.  They also tied in with Panini Americana as far as having memorabilia and autographs from pop culture figures.

Each box promised two autos or relics.

I had bought boxes when they orginally came out and pulled these a John Belushi shirt card and autographs of Angie Dickenson, Jan Stephenson and John Schneider.

Here is what I got from this purchase:

2013



Bob Denver is most famously remembered as Gilligan from Gilligan's Island.  I also have a memorabilia card of him from Donruss Americana.


Billy Sunday was a baseball player but is better known as an evangelist.  This card is a short print version as well as a rare white bordered parallel of the base card.

I also got an autographed card of former Miami Dolphins running back Jim Kiick that I forgot to scan.

2014



Tatum O'Neal was 10 when she starred in Paper Moon with her father Ryan.  She is the youngest person to win the Academy Award for Supporting Actress.  She also played the pitcher in the classic Bad News Bears.



Pat priest played the "ugly" Marilyn in the Munsters TV series.  "Ugly" in that she was normal compared to all of the other crazy characters.  She appeared in a few other shows and movies but retired from acting in the 1980's.

These are the kind cards I expected to get out of these boxes so I'm please overall as the boxes were relatively cheap.




















Comments

  1. Jim Kiick passed away recently. A couple years ago I spent half a year teaching at the high school he attended, and they had a retired uniform of him displayed in the gym. I took a picture of it and put it on his Wikipedia page for posterity.

    Tatum O'Neal was married to John McEnroe for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever have non sports hits like this for trade hit me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panini Golden Age was a great product line. I busted three boxes each of the 2012, 2013, and 2014 sets and it was a blast. As a relic and autograph collector... they were definitely the highlight of the break.

    If you're bored, here's a look at what I pulled:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2019/05/panini-doesnt-totally-suck.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice pulls. I see I wan't the first one to get a Pat Priest.

      Delete
  4. Fun post! Just learned about your blog from the great Fuji. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Think I'm Done

 I'm at the point that I am not feeling the trading card hobby anymore.  It is too much.  The ridiculousness of people fighting over cards at Target or Walmart even when the stores have jacked the prices up and the insane focus on spending money to have everything "slabbed" just has completely turned me off.  I have tried to focus on the vintage cards I've collected the last couple of years and the autographs and memorabilia pieces I have from some of my favorite shows and movies but I no longer have the desire to open a pack of new cards. Maybe someday if I become independently rich I will continue collecting vintage cards to add to my Tigers and Braves collections or buy rare autographs from Star Wars or Games of Thrones or some other pop culture sets but that time is not right now as living paycheck to paycheck does not make that possible. I have away the huge stack of boxes that I had full of cards, probably 200,000 cards, over the summer by putting them out by th

It's All About George

Welcome back everybody! A friend of mine who asked me why I didn't restart SCAMB so I decided to take the suggestion since he is a professional writer.  I'm not saying this is great literature though. I've been looking for topics for the relaunch and have a few in mind, but to start I wanted to highlight my number one player collection. I've been a George Brett fan since I saw him play at Tiger Stadium in 1980.  He hit a home run and got into a brawl in the game.  I was hooked. Like many collector's I've been going through my cards and other things during all of the extra time I've had at home and came upon two card albums.  I think they came with Topps Attax kits that I bought randomly.  They each have 26 pages so I decided to put my Brett cards in them and discuss each page in an installment. This will be a long term series that will be interspersed with other topics as I find cards I didn't know I had or want to highlight my favorit

I've Done It My Way

 I'll get back to my 1965-1969 Baseball Card favorites next time but today I want to explore all of the other places in my collection.  When I say that I have bought a pack of everything in my life I mean every type of sport I could get my hands on. Here are a few examples: Basketball: 1952 Wheaties Jim Pollard - This set had a portrait and action shot of each player,  No idea where I picked it up but I think it is cool. CCGs: 1 995 Lord of the Rings.  I have the One Ring.  I am a nerd. Football: I have 5 Autographed Joe Montana cards from the mid-1990's.  Someday I will get them authenticated and if they are legit I will give a big thank you to the person that gave them to me at no cost. Golf: I bought a lot of base Upper Deck Golf in the early 2000's.  This is the only Gold Parallel I have from the 2002 set. Hockey: I bought a full sets of 197-79 and 80-81 Topps Hockey in the mid-80's (instead of opting for the 1979-80) .  The 80-81 had this stupid scratch off stuff o