Skip to main content

Mission To Mars Card Pages Part 7 - Kicking the Ball Around

To recap:  These are the cards I would take with me if I could take ten 9-card pages with me to Mars.
I decided that each part of my collection cannot have more than one page.  The cards must fit into a regulation page as far as height and width but I am taking liberties with how thick some of the cards are.

Page 7 represents my soccer collection.  I've been collecting soccer for many years and regularly get up early on weekend mornings to watch the Premier League on NBC Sports Network.


1990 Pro Set England #194
Vinny played for several years in England's top division.  Most of you probably recognize him from the many movies and television roles that he has had since his retirement from playing.  My favorite is as the lead soccer thug in Eurotrip.


1991 Pro Set Scotland #89 Tommy Turner
Tommy went on to a successful career in the adult diaper industry.




1996 Upper Deck USA Olympics #112
Mia helped bring women's soccer into the public conscience in the 1990's.  She is considered by many to be the greatest female soccer player ever.


2009-10 Panini Super Strikes Champions League
Lionel is my favorite non-English player so I root for Barcelona.




2008 Upper Deck MLS #61
You have to be famous to have your name included in a movie title.  Marrying a Spice Girl put him over the top.  His presence on the Galaxy made them my favorite MLS team.



2012 Goodwin Champions Memorabilia
My favorite goaltender.  Besides being the starter for the US National team Tim plays for Everton in the Premier League.



2013 Topps Premier League Green #118
I started rooting for Chelsea when my sister lived there a few years ago.  John is the anchor of Chelsea's defense and my favorite player on the team.



2014 Panini Prizm World Cup #142
Wayne is my favorite player on my favorite team, Manchester United.  I watched him score a goal against Tottenham this morning.  He is the first player in Premier League history to score 10 or more goals in 11 straight seasons.



2014 Topps MLS English Footballer
This is from an insert set in the 2014 MLS set.  It is based on the design from 1977 Topps English Footballer.  I will eventually try to complete this set.  Thierry Henry retired after the 2014 season.  He was a star on the undefeated 2003-04 Premier League champions Arsenal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Think I'm Done

 I'm at the point that I am not feeling the trading card hobby anymore.  It is too much.  The ridiculousness of people fighting over cards at Target or Walmart even when the stores have jacked the prices up and the insane focus on spending money to have everything "slabbed" just has completely turned me off.  I have tried to focus on the vintage cards I've collected the last couple of years and the autographs and memorabilia pieces I have from some of my favorite shows and movies but I no longer have the desire to open a pack of new cards. Maybe someday if I become independently rich I will continue collecting vintage cards to add to my Tigers and Braves collections or buy rare autographs from Star Wars or Games of Thrones or some other pop culture sets but that time is not right now as living paycheck to paycheck does not make that possible. I have away the huge stack of boxes that I had full of cards, probably 200,000 cards, over the summer by putting them out by th

It's All About George

Welcome back everybody! A friend of mine who asked me why I didn't restart SCAMB so I decided to take the suggestion since he is a professional writer.  I'm not saying this is great literature though. I've been looking for topics for the relaunch and have a few in mind, but to start I wanted to highlight my number one player collection. I've been a George Brett fan since I saw him play at Tiger Stadium in 1980.  He hit a home run and got into a brawl in the game.  I was hooked. Like many collector's I've been going through my cards and other things during all of the extra time I've had at home and came upon two card albums.  I think they came with Topps Attax kits that I bought randomly.  They each have 26 pages so I decided to put my Brett cards in them and discuss each page in an installment. This will be a long term series that will be interspersed with other topics as I find cards I didn't know I had or want to highlight my favorit

I've Done It My Way

 I'll get back to my 1965-1969 Baseball Card favorites next time but today I want to explore all of the other places in my collection.  When I say that I have bought a pack of everything in my life I mean every type of sport I could get my hands on. Here are a few examples: Basketball: 1952 Wheaties Jim Pollard - This set had a portrait and action shot of each player,  No idea where I picked it up but I think it is cool. CCGs: 1 995 Lord of the Rings.  I have the One Ring.  I am a nerd. Football: I have 5 Autographed Joe Montana cards from the mid-1990's.  Someday I will get them authenticated and if they are legit I will give a big thank you to the person that gave them to me at no cost. Golf: I bought a lot of base Upper Deck Golf in the early 2000's.  This is the only Gold Parallel I have from the 2002 set. Hockey: I bought a full sets of 197-79 and 80-81 Topps Hockey in the mid-80's (instead of opting for the 1979-80) .  The 80-81 had this stupid scratch off stuff o